Connect thru Facebook

Saturday, March 9, 2013

I am well off: Who cares?

While it is not fair to be general, but time and again we are seeing some disturbing trends: human beings are apathetic towards the plight of fellow human beings. I am well off, why should I care? Part of this may be attributed to the lack of trust (somebody had helped someone and in return was cheated) while some other reason may be the increased focus on materialism.
I still remember an incident when I was in Class XII. There was an old man who came to me for selling agarbattis (incense sticks). He had too many mouths to feed and in order to help him I bought quite a lot. I went home, opened the box and to my dismay found only broom sticks. I was angry, upset and started cursing. But my good faith prevailed after sometime and then I just let it go.
This incident created disbelief and I just became apathetic to beggars on road, kids asking for food. Was I too cruel? I do not know but I was devastated. It took a while to get over all this and I started believing that may be the pain was because I was expecting some gratitude. Why? Yes, I am not god but why can’t we do something which makes us feel good and stop it there? Well, I had to wait for another incident to change this belief system.
This was during my B-school days when I had visited an old age home. My heart bled when I heard the plight of these senior citizens. They had given everything for their children and today they were in this state. But they were not upset about it. I guess no love can be greater than the parent’s love for their children.  Yes, they gave their today for their children’s tomorrow but their children were not gracious enough to give them a better quality of life. This regenerated hope in humanity.
We come across individuals who may cheat us. On the contrary there are individuals who will help you in ways you can never dream of. Yes we have earned our status, may be the hard way but does it give us the right to be inhuman. Can we not expend 1 day out of the 365 days for the greater good?  May be we may not gain anything materialistic but yes, believe me; you will get some peace of mind. If you can just shut your expectations and try to make a difference, you actually make a difference in your life.  I am not trying to preach but it is more of an experience. You have to go through it to feel the difference.
At Sporsho, we are committed to this experience! Come, Join Us!!!
                                                                                                                                                ~ Sandeep

No comments:

Post a Comment